5.12.10

Vintage Hearts

Back in the days when Club Avenue was at Trulissa in Riverside I remember hitting the dance floor and having to make room for this guy busting some crazy moves. Not only was he dominating the floor he had the coolest jacket covered in world flags. I was later introduced to Cornbread thru mutual friends and his style has always impressed me. Never have I seem him wear the same outfit, or not pull something off with the slightest of ease.  He is now married to the lovely Dyna who I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting but has a flair for thrifting and throwback steez.  The two paired together are a fashion force, and with the recent birth of their son they’re sure to add some funk to the image of  “all American family”
 

Tell us your love story……

Dyna & Brandon: We met one hot summer back in '08 out in Croatia for a Charles Bronson Film Festival. Our eccentric styles collided from jump.
Dyna: I approached him on some Alicia Keys "You don't know my name" type of sheeit n' was like, "uMmMm, I usually don't do this but, I couldn't help but notice how parched you are. I've got this bottle of Menage A Trois and you're more than welcome to share with me."
He agreed and I took his hand and we talked for hours. Slowly unfolding layer upon layer of all the unusual thing we both have in common. I was immediately taken by him.
Brandon:Upon our meeting I feel like the more we talked, the more we had in common (As it should go, right?) It was easy to talk to her, For a long time it felt like our relationship was telepathic because every time I would call her she would just be walking into the door from work or during our convo we would be finishing each other's sentences. (Laughs)
One of our first date DATES was so surreal because we hadn't hung out that often and it just amazed me to see how beautiful she was wearing very little makeup and how much she knew about life.
Long story short, it was Dinner + Thrifting + Blunt rolling + Miller High life. I was HOOKED. I didn't need to "play the field" anymore, I didn't need E Harmony, I didn't need a dog, I found my best friend. Her.
I can honestly say that I knew that first time that she would be the woman I would spend the better half of my life with.
How would you individually explain you style?

Dyna: I describe my style as eclectic, I can't label it under one category. Some days I feel different and I dress on emotion. Like some days I'll rock heels, a vintage 80's leather jacket, a fitted men's tee with some leggings.
Then the next day, I'll take it down a notch with a grandpa sweater, jeggings and moccasins.
And on my "blaahhhhh, I just wanna be comfortable as fuck, and I'm running errands all day". I like to throw on sweats, hoop earrings, and some sneaks (spizikes, vandals or cortez). 
I don't dress the same everyday. I get bored with one style. And I don't wait for anyone's approval when I throw something on. If like it, I could give a fuck what anyone thinks.





Brandon: Individually, my style is vintage with a few present pieces blended in. I liken my style to a b-boy, little associations I make with different accessories here and there.
I always make sure that whatever I'm wearing NOBODY has on.
Music plays a big role on my style. I try to keep it simple but not to the point where it's boring. I like to keep 'em guessing.
 

 
What was your first impression on each others style and how as a couple have you helped develop and integrate to how you dress now?

Dyna: I was quite impressed with senor Cornbread off the bat. He has this effortless and playful steeze about him. He can instantly throw something on and it's a banger.
One of our first dates was scouring thrift stores in San Bernardino. Coming across dope finds for one another. We don't speak during our thrift store adventures. 90% of the time we communicate telepathically. And we still do that in our married life. We have a keen sense of what one another likes. With that said, getting dressed for any outing is quite complimentary for one another.
We're not afraid of bold colors and/or crazy patterns. We have this way about coloring outside the lines when it comes to our outfits, we don't wanna be boxed in like how the masses dress themselves. No offense to the cookie cutters, but that has NEVER been my forte.

 

 Brandon: My first impression of her style was POLISHED.

Dyna has always had a unique sense of style, even when we first became a couple I always had to double back and make sure my fit was up to par with hers because she looked so dope. Her outfit coordination was so pristine. It motivated me to join a sorority and step my game up.
More and more when we shopped I started paying more attention to colors, patterns, design, the age of a garment, sizing, and also potential.
She opened my eyes about seeing the potential in a find, as before I was so quick to dismiss certain pieces if they didn't catch my eye from the get go.
She'd suggest different ways I'd be able to wear the garment or what I could possibly pair it with. And I've amazed myself since I implemented that rule of thumb.

 


 
Explain how you first got into “thrifting” and vintage.

Dyna: My love for thrifting came from my mom as a child. To save a buck, my mom would dress me and my sister with second hand clothes, and mix it here and there with some new items. A lot of the time you can never tell that they were used clothes. It's all how you tie the outfit together.
I'd add my own personal touches with accessories: bags, shoes, and jewelry. Which carried on throughout my childhood, teenage years, and today as an adult and mother.
In high school I was extremely addicted to thrifting. I started selling Blow Pops in high school to support my habit. I'd clock in my chump change of $30 a day and right after school hit the huge thrift store down the street. It became an everyday thing, alone or with friends. I was obsessed!
Brandon: My mother always insisted I tag along with her to our local thrift store and I figured "what he hell, It's only a store."
Little did I know that I was about to embark on a magical journey that would not only mold my life, career and personal style but also my marriage.
I mean what are you gonna do?  It's so damn exciting. The smell, the look, the feel, the thrill of the hunt. You look on end for hours for nothing, and find everything you ever wanted.
Whether it be a Gucci belt buckle or a Charlotte Hornets Starter snapback, you come up.
I hadn't known what vintage REALLY was until senior year of high school, but when I figured out what was high in value or relevence.

I always made sure to make every trip to the thrift store a memory, because I wasn't there to play, I was there to win. Hats, coats, jeans, tees, records, scarves, the sky was the limit, and I was the motherfucking captain.
Best thrifting find?

Dyna:This is kind of hard question. I feel like all my finds are great.
But some of my most memorable ones would be my freshman year. I bought 2 equally dope vintage dresses specifically for sneaking into my sister's senior prom. Bought them for 2 dollars a piece, both black. One was a simple long 70's halter with an open back, and the other was this great 80's disco number w/ a low plunging neckline, mid length with a super high slit on one side of the thigh, ruching on the bodice, and adorned with rhinestone straps that crisscrossed in the back. Whew! I described the sheeit out of that last dress, but I wanted you to visualize it! LOL
My other "proud moment find" would have to be, my black and gold lion statement earrings. Which look very Versace inspired. They straight up look like I jacked them off the old school set of "Dynasty" (no pun intended).
But my recent, RECENT find was just this past weekend. My vintage tan leather Cole Haan loafers for $16 and they still had the original tag on 'em.

Brandon: I have to say my best find has to be my Jolt Cola letterman canvas varsity jacket.
It's one of the only ones still in existence and goes on Ebay for 18.00. Yes, I know, not really the hot item of the winter but godammit it's the shit and I love it.
I have found countless snapbacks in mint condition at thrift stores and not one even holds a candle to this one jacket.
Just in case you folks were wondering why Jolt Cola? Jolt Cola was the official sponsor of the Hack The Planet, the unofficial pirate TV program hosted by Razor and Blade from the movie Hackers. "The drink for the Elite Hacker".
LOL. I'ma a nerd. but hey, Nerds are fucking taking over the world.
 
 
Favorite outfit the other wears.
Dyna: I love when he rocks his varsity Jolt Cola Jacket, Grimey Dynasty tee, 501's with his gold sneaks.
When he rocks this fit, that's what describes the "effortless steeze" I mentioned earlier.
Besides sheeit looks better when someone looks like they didn't try too hard.

Brandon: Hmmmm, in the arsenal which is Dyna's wardrobe, I would have to say that she looks absolutely exquisite in this one number she does.
She rocks these heather blue pro keds, black leggings, denim Guess? jacket adorned with buttons, a Notorious B.I.G tee, gold bracelet and gold framed cazals.
She looks like she stepped out of a very very unreleased Jay Dee beat. 

Style icons?

Dyna: My style icons that I respect consist of, Edita Masaya (my mother),  Imelda Marcos, Vanessa Del Rio, Elvira, Ginger McKenna, Carrie Bradshaw, Sofia Coppola, Lisa Turtle, Hilary Banks, and Kelly Bundy.
 
Brandon: Zack Morris, The cast of All That, Mosquito Valentine, Carlton Banks, Taz Arnold, Big Sean, The Cool Kids, Peanut Butter Wolf, Onra, Whoever runs, owns, operates Fruition LV, Houseshoes, Rene Lacoste, Mark Ecko, Jeremy Scott, Jean Michel Basquiat, Kanye West, Terry Richardson.  


As parents what are some important tips or advice on style you will tell your son?

Dyna: I'm definitely going to encourage my son to express himself through fashion. Esp when he get's old enough to start picking out his own clothes, I'm NOT going to stop him in any fashion decisions. I want him to experiment and see what he likes and doesn't like.

Brandon: I just want my son to know that whatever he wants to wear, not wear is fine with me. I think it's important for him to know that it doesn't matter what does, I'll love him unconditionally.


 
What fashion trends = HOT MESS to you right now?

Dyna: Those incredibly hideous Sketchers toning shoes. If I were to strut around in those like it was nobody's business, I swear I'm just asking for a beat down!
But on a serious note, I feel, fashion rules are nonexistent. If there are any, it's solely up to the individual.
Always rock something that expresses and represents how you want to be portrayed. If I'm out n' about and I see a well put together fit on a guy or girl, I can't help but give 'em props and tell how dope their steeze is.
I think that's some of the main reasons why ppl put so much thought into their outfits. For someone to tell 'em "Yo, yer fit's ill. Haven't seen anything like that. Hella original."
Sheeit like that makes anyone's day.

Brandon: Foxtails, Sunglasses indoors, Super super skinny jeans, heavily over nostalgic retro collectibles sold at Hot Topic,  



Fashion and music go hand in hand. What is your soundtrack for getting ready and throwing together the perfect outfit.?

Dyna: I don't have one specific song I throw on to get ready. I used to have a playlist I'd get ready to that consisted of Esthero, Les Nubians, Jean Grae, MF Doom, Madlib, Hiero, A Tribe Called Quest, Dilla, Slum Village, Kool Keith, Analog Brothers, Little Brother, JDavey, Portishead, and array of 805 artists (Epsilon Project, Points of Ellipsis, MED, and Oh No to name a few.)
But since I have this great Dj husband with impeccable taste in music. He plays our tunes with the mentioned above, plus more, along with some new international sensations to add to the mix.
Getting ready together is quite lovely and just before we hit the door we pop each others collars. ;)

Brandon: As a dj, you have to know how tough it is to answer this question. 
It all boils down to beats, as someone who has literally heard everything a rapper has to say, I wanna know what it feels like to listen to nothing but instrumentalism. To be able to better narrow down my selections I'ma break it down in camps: Brainfeeder: Samiyam, Flying Lotus, FLYamSAM, Teebs, Lorn, The Motherfucking Gaslamp Killer, Ras G. Klipmode: Mndsgn, Devonwho, Suzi Analogue, Knxwledge. Stones Throw: Dam Funk, Madlib, Oh No, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Koushik. Alpha Pup: Dibiase, Daedelus, Daddy Kev, Free The Robots. Vlooper and Kenlo, J Bizness, Exile, Teeko, Shigeto, Preme, Me Gusta, Desolate, Captain, Carlos Ricardo aka
E-regular, J Dilla aka Jay Dee, Computer Jay, P.U.D.G.E, Onra, Afta-1, Afro Butterfly, Nicky D's, Jynxx, A3, Nicolay, Xperiment, Full Crate, Mike Slott, Hudson Mohawke, Proh Mic, Alex B, Tokimonsta, Stevo, King Britt, Rucyl and Cazeaux OSLO.  

Much love to Brandon & Dyna Walker for the interview <3

follow them here:

@Tha_Dynasty
@djcornBREEZE








2 comments:

Sondria said...

I love them! Would have loved them to name some of the vintage shops since they ARE the master teachers...but I understand that's some ninja shit. LOL; good job!

Mo. said...

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated <3

Post a Comment